Wednesday, July 17, 2013

09:19:27 Jackman: 'Wolverine Was My First Ever US Job' Entert41nment5

Jackman: 'Wolverine Was My First Ever US Job' Jul 17th 2013, 08:52

X-Men star Hugh Jackman said he ended up first playing Wolverine 13 years ago because he was at a point in his career when he "would have taken any job, probably".

The 44-year-old spoke to Sky's Entertainment Correspondent Lucy Cotter on the red carpet at the London premiere of The Wolverine.

The Australian actor made his grand entrance in a sporty white Audi Spyder, accompanied by his wife Deborra-Lee Furness as he pulled up to the Empire cinema in Leicester Square.

Hundreds of fans had waited up to 12 hours in the sweltering heat, with some coming from as far as Australia and Austria to catch a glimpse.

Jackman told Cotter the superhero role was the first job he ever had in America and he had never heard of X-Men or Wolverine before that.

Hugh Jackman Jackman arrived for the premiere in an Audi Spyder

"Only after I got the job, you know, people were stopping me in the street, saying things and that's when I knew I had got a good one," he said.

The Marvel comic book sequel, directed by James Mangold, sees the clawed hero in modern-day Japan where he faces his ultimate nemesis in a life-or-death battle.

The star had to bulk up significantly for the role after losing so much weight to play his Oscar-nominated role of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables.

"I always love Wolverine," he said.

Hugh Jackman signs autographs Hundreds of fans waited for hours to see the Australian star

"For me, this film is the definitive movie about him.

"Even if you haven't seen the previous film or the X-Men movies, this feels fresh and really different. I'm just grateful we could make it."

Jackman revealed he had plans for his stay in London besides the premiere.

"I'm going to be at Lords on Thursday," he said. "What is it about The Ashes - it's always awesome, it's always fantastic. So many great stories and heroes.

"I think that's what cricket's all about and I love that it's captured both nations. And I hope we win!"

The Wolverine, which also stars Famke Janssen, Will Yun Lee, Rila Fukushima and Tao Okamoto, opens in cinemas on July 25.

Scott Foresman Science
unsubscribe from this feed

YOUR COMMENT